Every high school student is expected to demonstrate pride in their personal appearance. The purpose of the dress code is to help students set a standard for their personal appearance that is conducive to learning. Any clothing which is distractive, disruptive, or interferes with the learning process or school climate is not allowed. Failure to comply with the following rules will result in immediate disciplinary action:
- SHIRTS MUST BE TUCKED INTO PANTS AT ALL TIMES. SAGGING IS NOT ALLOWED. The top of pants must be worn around the waist and belts need to be secured in the belt loops.
- Shoes must be worn at all times. Sandals must have heel straps. Thongs or backless shoes or sandals are not acceptable. High heels with straps will be permitted up to a 2 inch heel.
- Clothing, jewelry and personal items (backpacks, fanny packs, gym bags, water bottles etc.) shall be free of writing, pictures or any other insignia which are crude, vulgar, profane or sexually suggestive, which bear drug, alcohol or tobacco company advertising, promotions and likenesses, or which advocate racial, ethnic or religious prejudice.
- Hats, caps and other head coverings shall not be worn indoors.
- Clothes shall be sufficient to conceal undergarments at all times AND straps of any kind must be at least 2 in wide. See-through or fish-net fabrics, halter tops, off-the-shoulder or low-cut tops, bare midriffs and skirts or shorts shorter than mid-thigh are prohibited.
- Gym shorts may not be worn in classes other than physical education.
- Hair shall be clean and neatly groomed. Hair may not be sprayed or dyed by any coloring that would drip when wet or that is distracting, unless expressly authorized by the principal or designee in connection with a specific school activity.
- Standard ear piercings shall be permitted. Other ear and body piercings shall be prohibited.
- Coaches and teachers may impose more stringent dress requirements to accommodate the special needs of certain sports and/or classes.
- Clothes must fit properly and cover the underwear when sitting, standing, or bending.
- Shoulders and midriffs must be covered.
UNNACEPTABLE DRESS CODE VIOLATIONS THAT WILL RESULT IN DISCIPLINARY ACTION:
o Thongs, backless shoes, high heel shoes (2 inches), or sandals without straps.
o Gym shorts (expect when worn in physical education classes).
o Any clothing or apparel displaying alcohol, tobacco products, drugs, gang affiliation, sexual content, or offensive language which advocates racial, ethnic, or religious prejudice.
o Gang-related attire (i.e. Dodgers, Cowboys, Raiders, 49ers, etc.).
o Hats, hair-nets, beanie caps, hoods, or other head coverings.
o Mohawks of any length, long pikes, or hair styles that disrupt learning.
o See-through or fish-net fabrics, tube tops, halters, tank tops, razor back and spaghetti straps.
o Sunglasses worn indoors.
o Any item that is potentially dangerous and could cause physical injury to oneself or others (i.e. sharp objects, safety pins, metal studs).
o Any jewelry which is visible that pierces any body part other than the ears - No facial piercings.
Consequences: Violators may be sent home and lost time will have to be made up. Penalties may range from a warning to a recommendation for transfer to an alternative education program.